Sunday, July 19, 2009

Harry Potter and the Half-Baked Ending

If you are a Harry Potter fan and you didn't like my title, let's see how you'd react to my friend Spanky's "Harry Potter and the Half-Asleep Audience". :)

Nonetheless, I didn't fall asleep. I watched and listened so intently as not to skip an important word or phrase uttered by the characters in the story. I was then so thrilled to watch Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince because I think the trailer was made of awesome compared to all the previous series'. It left in me the impression that it was action-packed and full of magic. See the trailer here.
This is aside from the fact that I am watching the movie in the San-Miguel IMAX Theater in SM MOA, a surprising first for me.

Two hours after the movie, I was still expecting a major showdown of magic of some sort. I told myself, ok, they have around half-an hour left to amaze me. :) And suddenly, just when I though it was about to come, the credits showed.
I asked my friend beside me if that was it and am I really seeing the credits! (that the movie was over)!

The others conclude that it was anti-climactic. True, but I guess these are all the reactions one would get from the non-book readers. We didn't know what will happen and we expected much.
The book readers, perhaps, were happy with the results and knew what is to come. The movie stayed true to the book and ended in such manner. Ron and Hermione took the back seat and was not involved in the story in any major aspect. I would like to believe that book 6 was meant to invest in the story and plot build-up for the last, book 7.

The movie's cinematography was outstanding, expectedly dark and 'Harry Potterish.' In IMAX, the first half-hour or so was in 3D Imax mode.
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince movie is the sixth installment in the Harry Potter movie series from Warner Bros. Pictures. Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson, and Rupert Grint once again takes on the roles of Hogwarts students Harry Potter, Hermione Granger, and Ron Weasley.

The movie rendition of the seventh book will be divided into two parts with the first one to be shown on November of next year and the last one on July 2011.

I expect the first part of book seven to push us at the edge of our seats and leave us hanging again similar to what happened in this half-blood prince movie review.

See you again after 16 months for the next Harry Potter movie!

blog comments powered by Disqus